What Are the Kansas No Fault Laws?

Many people get confused when the insurance companies tell them after a car accident that Kansas is no fault. No fault does not prevent an injury victim from getting a settlement when the collision was due to a negligent driver! Call Brian & Brian at Pistotnik Law Offices at 316-689-8035 to get information on how these laws affect your case. Brian and Brian can help you get the benefits you deserve.

No fault laws are fairly straight forward. When you are in a collision, Kansas laws provide your own insurance company has to pay certain benefits up front--these benefits are known as personal injury protection benefits (when talking with insurance companies, they call them PIP benefits). These laws help an injury victim get some of their medical bills paid up front and provide for wage loss payments up front, prior to seeking a settlement from the person who was at fault. However, if you don't have a serious injury, you can't get a recovery from the person who was at fault for pain and suffering and other noneconomic losses. A serious injury usually is an injury resulting in at least $2000 of medical bills. Other serious injuries include a fracture to a weight bearing bone, permanent disfigurement, or any kind of permanent disability. Once you qualify with a serious injury, you "breach the threshold" and you have a case where you can seek damages for pain and suffering, accompanying mental anguish, disability, disfigurement, inconvenience, loss of time, loss of enjoyment of life, and other terms categorized as noneconomic losses.

When you get a settlement from the insurance company for the at fault person, under normal circumstances, you have to reimburse your insurance company from the settlement. The reason for reimbursement is simple. If you were allowed to collect medical bills, wage loss, and other PIP benefits from your own insurance company, and then later you collect those same damages from the insurance company for the negligent person, you would be getting paid twice. However, when the negligent person has insufficient insurance, and you are not getting paid for duplicative damages, the insurance company providing PIP payments has to waive their claim to get repaid. Also if there is a determination that you have comparative fault, and you are partially negligent in causing the wreck, the insurance company providing PIP payments has to reduce the amount they get reimbursed by whatever fault is attributable to you. The insurance company getting their money back also has to pay a proportionate share of attorney fees when they get their money back (this saves the injury victim from paying attorney fees on that part of the recovery).

Usually, there are four types of PIP benefits available. Kansas requires minimums on these benefits, but you can purchase higher coverages. For medical bills related to the wreck, the minimum is your insurance company has to pay up to $4500 of medical bills, including reimbursing you for your prescription purchases related to the wreck. For wage loss, the minimum is $900/month, up to one year. Wage loss is reimbursed at 85% of the gross wage loss and the insurance companies require documentation of two things. You have to get an off work slip from your doctor confirming what time frame you are unable to work, but you also have to have written wage loss verification from your employer confirming your absence and rate of pay. A less used PIP benefit is called substitution services or essential services. If your injury prevents you from doing your chores at home and you pay someone else to do those chores, you can get reimbursed up to $25/day for up to 365 days. You need documentation from your doctor that these services are necessary due to your injuries and the doctor's note needs to specify what time frame you needed this assistance. You also need documentation of your payments to others (receipts for their work). Finally there is a PIP benefit called occupational rehabilitation, which allows up to $4500 towards occupational therapy services (not physical therapy which is billed under medical) or psychiatric service aimed at restoring your ability to work following an injury.

For death cases, there are PIP benefits to assist with funeral expenses (only $2000), and survivors benefits to pay dependent heirs which basically pays the wage loss of the deceased ($900/month for a year) to the heirs.

These no fault benefits are available even when the collision is your fault, but when the collision is your fault, you get these PIP benefits, but you don't get a settlement from the other driver for damages like pain and suffering when the collision is your fault.

Once again, this post is highly summarized and we always offer free advice if you have questions. Call Pistotnik Law also known as Brian and Brian with your questions any time! Call (316) 215-7717. We are friendly and willing to help!